Sunday, September 14, 2008

No me llames LENTEJAS!

One of the first "real" solid foods that Victor ate (after the rice cereal, veggie and fruit purees, etc) were lentils.  It was inevitable--my husband LOVES lentils (one of the comfort foods of Spain), and my son cries when he sees someone eating something he is not.  

Seriously, lentils are a fantastic food for babies:
  • super easy and fairly quick to make
  • you can make a huge batch and it freezes well
  • very inexpensive
  • rich in fiber, iron, protein
  • lend themselves to adding other veggies (carrots, garlic, leeks, etc) as well as yogurt
  • no need to puree as the lentils cook down to be very soft
  • pretty portable (OK, I'll admit that maybe this is an anomaly as my son likes cold lentils)
I've been pretty surprised as to the amount of questions I have received about making and feeding our babies and toddlers lentils.  Since I have received a number of requests for a recipe, I thought I would share our "base" recipe here:

Ingredients:
1 package dried lentils
1 onion or leek (optional)
several cloves of garlic
3 or 4 chopped carrots
1 cube of chicken broth
any other veggies you want to add
any meat you want to add (we sometimes add chorizo, ham, bacon, or even chopped hot dogs)

Preparation:
In a big pot, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil.  Add chicken brothe and lentils.
At the same time, sautee your onion/leek and garlic.  Add meat (chopped) into pan until lightly cooked.  Add to lentil pot.
Let mixture simmer for a couple of hours (or if you have a pressure cooker like we do, 15 min) until lentils are soft.
Let cool a bit and puree (optional) to desired texture.


Que aproveche!

No comments: