Monday, September 8, 2008

Learning Spanish through music

I first started learning Spanish through music. A girlfriend of mine loved Salsa dancing, but could not find anyone to go to the bars with her. She finally convinced me to come along and the combination of the music, dancing, and cute guys with accents got me hooked!

It wasn't too long before I was curious as to what exactly I was dancing to. I remember that I asked a friend of mine to translate Victor Manuelle's "Que Habria Sido de Mi", one of my favorite songs. There I was, with a huge grin on my gringa face, while Sr. Manuelle sings of how his heart was broken and smashed on the floor. It was then that I knew I either had to give up salsa dancing or learn a little Spanish.

Music and song is such a powerful thing that I couldn't wait to introduce it to my children. Little Victor is finally at the point where he will pay attention and sometimes imitate hand motions when you say a rhyme or sing a song. But I was completely lost when it came to Spanish kiddie songs.

With the help of my husband, we've been searching YouTube for some of his childhood memories. We've found "Enrique y Ana", a duo from the 70s (much like my "Donny and Marie"), "Los Payasos de la Tele", and my favorite: Rosa Leon.

No comments: