Sunday, August 31, 2008

So far, so good!

It's been just over 2 weeks since little Victor's first birthday (and my personal deadline to figure out our approach to bilingualism). We're doing well!

These last 2 weeks have been very eventful, what with moving back from Philadelphia (where we were living for the summer), Victor's first birthday, Oscar back in grad school, and some nerve-wracking midwife appointments (everything turned out well and the little guy should stay put for another month or so!) so I'm surprised that we've (okay, I've) been sticking to the plan.

I have run into a couple of (surprising challenges:

Go figure, I'm actually having a tough time speaking to Victor in English for long periods of time. I can sing a song or rhyme or say a few sentences, but normally I revert right back to Spanish. This hasn't posed a problem, but I do feel a little bad if we are with friends.

And, riddle me this!--yesterday we were doing a little shopping and mama sat down as she was huffing and puffing (I blame the heat and the extra 40 lbs, not the lack of exercise!!). A father and son sat down next to us and were playing with the little boy's new toy. For some reason, I felt strange speaking to Victor in Spanish (even though I had no idea who these people were and was not in the mood to be drawn into a conversation!)

Not bad for the first 2 weeks!

No comments: